Powered by Blogger.

B Is for Broadway/Columbus Circle

 A relatively empty subway platform at our next stop for
The A to Z Blogging Challenge,  Broadway/Columbus (at 59th Street).
 
We've now moved to the west side of Manhattan. We're at the gateway to my neighborhood, the Upper West Side. This station has a place in my heart. I worked at a building -- since torn down -- for almost five years. I could walk to work (which I rarely did) and I could walk home, which I often did. I could take a subway just about anywhere in New York City and there were restaurants and stores in abundance. I was heartbroken when the demolition began in the fall of 1999 and our office moved to Lower Manhattan. 
 
   
Yesterday we were at a stop named for John Jacob Astor and today we're at a stop named for Christopher Columbus. Technically the name of the station is Broadway/Columbus Circle, but when I'm meeting friends I simply say I'll be at Columbus Circle. The area was seedier when I worked there but it was refurbished and the area around the statue is beautifully landscaped in warm weather.
 

 My favorite spot in the station is this mural by the contemporary American artist Sol LeWitt. I may have seen "Whirls and Twirls" -- unveiled in 2009 -- easily 100 times, but it never fails to make me smile. Yes, there's room for renovation in the station, but my eye gravitates to the colorful tiles and exciting pattern. It may seem odd to have art in the subway stations, but it is a great way to enrich what can be tedious treks through the stations. I'll be including photographs of the art installations in a number of the stations we will be visiting.

The Time Warner Center has some of my favorite Christmas decorations 

The building I once worked in was replaced by the Time Warner Center, a shopping mall, concert hall, office building and hotel. It's the closest mall to where I live, and it's only three blocks from my Y, so I am here often. One of my favorite snack stops for great coffee and pastries is at Bouchon Bakery, and perhaps the best view of midtown Manhattan looking east. It is one of my favorite places to take friends who are visiting or simply to treat myself. 

 I hope you've enjoyed our visit to Broadway/Columbus Circle. Here's our hint for tomorrow. We're going uptown and the stop is named for one of the great buildings of New York City.

As ever, thanks for visiting. An especially warm welcome to bloggers participating in the A to Z Challenge. See you all tomorrow with C! 
 

10 comments

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What fun - I love New York!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love those swirls too and the Christmas decorations. It's neat to see your familiar haunts! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Just hearing the words whirls and twirls makes me smile ! Columbus Circle does have a lot to offer. I love the view of Manhattan.

Dee said...

Dear Carol, one of my great-nieces lives in Brooklyn. She is a professional photographer and I plan to tell her to look at your blog to see if she's seen what you are sharing with us. She's lived there now for three years. Looking forward to "C." Peace.

Mimi said...

Love the "whirls and twirls." Definitely nothing like that in our pastures!

TARYTERRE said...

Bouchon Bakery and pasteries sound delicious.

Annesphamily said...

Carol this is quite lovely. I really enjoy your stories and need to blog more daily. THis is where my heart is. Thank you for sharing. HUGS

Zulu Delta 45 said...

Hello,
I love the pictures you left of the subway. I live in New England, but love to visit NYC and ride my bike around. Good luck with the A-Z Challenge! Zulu Delta

Melinda said...

Another fun post.
Hope to see you soon at Dreaming.

M : )

JazzFeathers said...

This stop sounds like a great spot to visit. Loved all of your photos. It looks fantastic.

@JazzFeathers
The Old Shelter - Weimar Germany