Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Visits the Blue Lagoon


The beautiful Blue Lagoon

This Saturday Pink Saturday goes to Iceland for a visit to the Blue Lagoon.  Yes, the Blue Lagoon is as beautiful and relaxing as these pictures depict. Actually, on reflection, it is more beautiful and even more relaxing as the pictures show. The Blue Lagoon is a geothermal spa formed in 1976 after the Svartsengi power plant was built. People began to bathe in the waters and realized the very positive effect on their skin. People with psoriasis were especially helped after bathing in the waters. The Blue Lagoon opened to the public in 1987 and has continued to expand. A hotel on the site is now under construction.


The temperature of the lagoon is approximately 100 degrees and the day I was there the air temperature was approximately 35 degrees. There were a few chilly moments getting into the lagoon, but they were quickly forgotten. This is the swim/walk up bar. I had a banana skyr -- Icelandic yogurt -- smoothie, but there are stronger spirits available, too. Besides the refreshment bar there was also a silica facial bar, which left my skin feeling very smooth. 
 

Iceland is known as the Land of Fire and Ice and it is an area of great volcanic activity. Eighty per cent of Iceland's energy is geothermal made by heat inside the earth's crust. It is clean and sustainable.


I had a wonderful lunch in the Lava Restaurant at the Blue Lagoon. I had fresh Icelandic mussels and a glass of sparkling wine. It was a perfect pre-relaxation for the perfect relaxation to come.

This was my view from the restaurant. It was winter coat weather outside and bathing suits for my time spent in the Blue Lagoon.
 
I'm back from Iceland and slowly adjusting to life in New York. I've been surprised at the jet lag I've experienced. I fall asleep early and wake up at 4:00 a.m. I'm hoping that the worst of the jet lag is done and I'll be on a New York sleep schedule very soon. A little lost sleep is a small price to pay for a great visit to Iceland. The scenery was spectacular -- a word I don't use often -- and I will be posting several more times with some photographs from my visit. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. Thanks and remembrance to all those who served and who serve our county today. Very grateful for the sacrifices you all make for our freedom.  


8 comments

Joanne said...

That looks and sounds amazing! I had never heard of the blue lagoon before.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Iceland is such the IN place to go this year, I must add it to my bucket list. It looks fabulous this Blue Lagoon is huge! How was your skin afterwards? Sorry to hear about the jet lag!
Wren x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

As it is very cold here, I'd love to enjoy that blue lagoon. What a wonderful place to visit!

Mizumatte said...

oh I love Iceland, Ive been there twice and been many swimming fasilities with that warm water, I'm really looking forward your other blogpost of Iceland. best wishes Jaana

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

A very interesting and unique place! Pictures seldom capture the beauty you can feel.

Chatty Crone said...

One of The Doctors from The Doctors Show went there and he too said is was awesome. You are so blessed girlfriend. That looked awesome. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

what a tranquil spot, indeed.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have been seeing more and more information about Iceland in recent years and it has made me think that it is a very good place to live. How fortunate you are Carol, to have visited this forward thinking and beautiful country.